Friday 25 May 2012

Feedback from other units

Yesterday I had some feedback from previous units.

For the Schizophrenia comic book, my tutor told me it was important to experiment more with different media and drawing styles.

He said it's better to think of one idea and experiment with that as much as possible, not to think of an end product.

For the sustainability video, I was told it's better to concentrate on something more experimental- not something educational.

I wonder if it's possible to mix up science and experimental works.





Pilobolus perform "Symbiosis" (TED)



This beautiful dance is supposed to represent symbiosis in nature- when two organisms mutually benefit each other.

I think it's an important thing to highlight as I think there has been a lot of emphasis on the success of the individual in nature (e.g. the "survival of the fittest" concept and Richard Dawkins' "The selfish gene")

I recently heard that Dawkins wishes he called it "the cooperative gene' as this would illustrate how genes work together to produce the expression and silencing of certain genes and come together to form proteins and enzyme pathways.



Maybe this is a bit of a leap, but I also think that perhaps this way of looking at nature, one gene or one organism finding success alone has been mythologised as justification for neo-liberal, unregulated economic policies.


Projections


Maybe I could do some projects on symbiotic creatures or molecules contrasting against an image of humans being quite un-symbiotic. That would probably be a bit too obvious and propagana-y though.  And of course I don't want to go to the extreme and force everyone to love each other all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment